4 August 2009

bufflo - session 1

We had a discussion about prejudice and discrimination as a group. People look at drug users as if they are not part of their society, as if they are outcasts. People in society who think drug users are nothing are prejudice. They have preconceived ideas that they are not trustworthy, thief's and many other stereotypes. Prejudice is a negative view of somebody before you get to know them. CRI service users are stigmatised by these judgements in society but the service itself does not judge them. Discrimination is where someone discriminates a person because of what they see them as, a 'no-hoper' in society. Discrimination is acting on prejudices, actively being negative towards them because of a viewpoint.

We talked in a group about the negative stereotypes people have about people who drug and alcohol addictions. I think to judge people is wrong and cannot see any positive factors, only many negative ones. Negative stereotyping singles people out, isolating them. By rights you cannot judge a person, you cant know what they are capable of, if you don't even know them.

As a drug user I had a bad attitude, aggressive all the time. I could not talk to people without coming across aggressive. I didn't mean to do it, it was through the drugs. There was many different things going in my life that influenced my attitude. Poverty and isolation influenced my feelings. I was a loner, I isolated myself. I woke up and I knew i was ready. I started my rattle by myself, all off my own back. Took me two months of sleepless nights and pain. After I got away from the drugs I went to find out what services could help support me in the right direction. This helped me as I joined different groups dealing with my anger and aggression, it totally changed my life around. You only get out of stuff what you put into it.

CRI have many policies regarding the non-judgemental view and working relationships with service users. Given drug users are often isolated the CRI service gives people confidence and makes them feel at home, accepted and understood. It helps give people reassurance and helps them to engage more with treatment.

I feel contributed the session and engaged with the debate. I was open to hear other peoples views and listen before sharing my own opinions. I think we got on well as a group, we all gave opinions and listened to what people had to say. There was a lot of interaction, I think I was a confident team member.

No comments:

Post a Comment