4 August 2009

Rebecca - session one

As a group we had a discussion on prejudices and discrimination and how it can affect on a user of CRI. To be prejudice against someone is to have a pre-conceived idea or view about someone to be prejudice against a service user the user would not be treat fairly from the start as you have already made your mind up about what they are like. To discriminate against someone is to act on your pre-conceived ideas. Therefore the service user would be treat unfairly because you acting on your views not actually taking the time to get to know the service user.

The negative factors of stereotyping people I feel is to tar every addict with the same brush. The media has had alot to do with this by printing things like we are all low life smack heads that can't be trusted and are a dredge on society. People have clearly taken what they read or see in the media to be the truth. I see stereo typing people as a totally negative thing to do and that there is no positives in it.

I feel my attitude during the time on drugs was that I was very selfish and really didn't care about anything other than getting a score. Because the drugs took over my life so much I isolated myself away from everyone and shut the world out and ignored everything in my life. My attitude changed completely when I had my first child it made me realise how totally messed up I was. I got a script of Subutex and got totally clean since then I have never looked back . I have two beautiful children and built a whole new network of friends that care about me and I care for them.


CRI have installed many policies to prevent against any discrimination to take place. Therefore all service users will be treat fairly and not be judged at all. Volunteers and paid employers are fully aware of these policies and must follow them to a point. By following these policies the service user will feel relaxed and can be open about their problems.

My contribution to the first session yesterday I feel was to take the time to get to know people I didn't know. I listened to their views and enjoyed their input. We all had alot of interaction and also made sure I worked in the and gave my input and views. I felt we all took the time to listen to each and felt by the end of the session we had learnt alot.

No comments:

Post a Comment